Prescriptions drugs are powerful tools to help both patients and physicians – when used correctly. However, when physicians, pharmacists or other medical professionals make an error in ordering, administering or prescribing medications, the results can be tragic.
Medication errors take place in a variety of ways, but can include:
- Prescribing incorrect medications
- Physicians prescribing the wrong dosage of medication
- Physicians prescribing medications that interact dangerously with other conditions or drugs the patient may have or may be taking
- Nurses administering the wrong patient’s medication
- Pharmacists filling the wrong prescriptions
- Pharmacists mislabeling medications
- Medical professionals failing to recognize a patient’s allergies before administering, prescribing or filling a prescribed medication
- A nurse or at-home care provider incorrectly administering medication
- A medical professional not accurately communicating possible side effects of a specific prescription drug
When a medication error leads to injury or illness, you should consult a medical malpractice attorney as soon as possible. If you have reason to believe that either you or someone you love has been a victim of a medication error, Haliczer Pettis & Schwamm’s attorneys may be able to help.